samedi 28 juin 2014

Read: Ted Naifeh's Princess Ugg!

A little bit more than one year ago, Courtney Crumrin, one of my favorite comic books ended. I had been following it since its first edition in France, and I somehow felt a bit like an orphan when the last page was turned.

This June, Ted Naifeh's long awaited "Princess Ugg" is out!
                           Ink and watercolour, Elisabeth Neveux, Inspired by Ted Naifeh's work!


Princess Ugg follows Ulga of Grimeria, Daughter of the fiery Queen Fridrika, and King Thorgrin. She is sent by her mother to pursue her Education in a school for princesses. Ugg is of  lineage of warriors, and wields a sword with bravery. But it doesn't make it less worrysome for her to go to that school
Ugg's design is great. Generally, when you see a warrior design, the character is still all skin and bones, but here, she is muscly. You can imagine she will grow into a strong willed woman, very much like her mother.
Nonetheless, she needs to go to school, where, i guess, she will learn from the other princesses, and they will themselves learn from her.
Her arrival causes a ruckus. Her first meeting with Lady Julifer (the personified vain and selfish princess), who happens to be her room mate, promisses to be rich in fun adventures, as these two learn to live together and accept each other! they will probably turn into odd best friends. Her arrival itself is a brawl, which delightfully reminds me of Harry Potter.
I love the fact that her pet is a wooly Mammoth... (who wouldn't love to ride a mammoth honestly?).
Maybe Ugg's accent is a bit tough for me to read, but  I get used to it little by little.
The character of the Headmaster reminds me of a mix of Severus Snape and Aloysius in Courtney Crumrin. I guess she is going to be a mentor to Ulga's during her adventures.

I'm looking forward to read the next issue! 
 Naifeh's is back at its best, initially I'm more of a black and white person, but his watercolours are a wonder, and they fit perfectly the atmosphere. The world Ted Naifeh has created is colorful.
I'm glad again to find a strong powerful female character for young (and not so young) readers.
I think this is why I love Ted Naifeh's work. Every time, like in Courtney Crumrin or Polly and the pirates, girls and women are strong individuals, and I think we need more of them!

                                           Princess Ugg Copyrights belong to Ted Naifeh.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire